Today's Exercise: Light a Prayer On Fire
1. Spend a few minutes thinking about the one thing you wish you could do for the world and the life in it.
2. On a clean piece of paper or a piece of stationery, hand-write your wish for the world and sign your name to it.
3. Take your prayer paper and some matches or a lighter and step OUTSIDE.
4. In a safe place, light your prayer on fire and watch it burn.
5. Once it is burned, your prayer cannot be changed. Imagine it having been sent to the great cosmic consciousness and now all beings know that you prayed for that.
1. Clarity: the first part of this exercise causes you think through what is really important to you. The first step in a successful prayer process is to be clear what it is that you are trying to cause to happen. When we try to work this out verbally, we can mutter about and get lazy with our ideation creating a rather blurry aspiration. When we take the time to write our prayer down several things happen:
2. Commitment: by burning the prayer you are promising yourself that you will not and cannot take it back. We make promises like this all the time and they last five minutes. When we step out of our normal routine and swear by fire, we hold our intention with a whole new intentionality. The fire creates an experience of irrevocability. It intensifies your intention in your mind and links it to an experience that makes the prayer, from the time that it is made, have at least some manifestation in reality.
3. Causing Reality: By making an actual gesture rather than having a passing thought, you have already taken action on your intention and created a link between your aspiration and the physical world. Even though it may only be a seed, it now lives in the same dimension as you do. Placing an intention in the physical world is the first step to causing the benefit that you are trying to create. Most of this has to do with remaining aware of your prayer such that you are constantly on the look out for arising possibilities that facilitate your aspiration. After this exercise what there is for you to do is find every opportunity to make your prayer-seed grow.
Editor's Note: Karma Builder™ is a series of simple experiential exercises that anyone can do that are designed to create personal insight and build wisdom. These exercises require a combination of both thought and action and will not be as effective if done by contemplation alone. Karma Builder™ exercises are based on the principle that thought alone is not nearly as powerful a state of consciousness as experience. By creating a point of contemplation joined to specific action, these exercise produce change in both the mind and the real world. By observing the change in consciousness and the change in the outer world, practitioners can, over time, develop a deep understanding our inner and outer worlds connect and how to have meaningful impact on our lives and the world. Karma Builder™ exercises develop multidimensional consciousness that can empower the influence that we can have in our lives when we find ways to make our best intentions and aspirations manifest.
What Is Common Sanctum?
Common Sanctum is a ontological community that explores disciplined methods of evolving human consciousness based on the principles of Buddhism, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Quantum Physics and other useful methodologies developed over the course of human evolution. It seeks to create a path to inner peace while disengaging from competitive consumer culture, oppression politics and social agression .